Poznan

At the turn of the 8’h and 9th centuries a fortified town was founded in the cathedral island which in the 1Oth century was, along with Gniezno, one of the main administrative centres of Poland ruled by kings of the Piast dynasty.
  • 261.3Area
  • 0.5 MPopulation
  • 1253Town Charter

At the turn of the 8’h and 9th centuries a fortified town was founded in the cathedral island which in the 1Oth century was, along with Gniezno, one of the main administrative centres of Poland ruled by kings of the Piast dynasty. It was here that the Baptism of Poland took place in 966 and two years later the first Polish  diocese was established and a cathedral built that houses graves of sovereigns of the Piast dynasty. Poznań’s inhabitants have always had a great respect for science and knowledge. In 1518, the Lubrański Academy was founded as the first university in Poznań. Today, there are more than twenty universities in the city, which have over 140,000 students. The Science Centre at the Polish Academy of Science, the Poznań Society of Friends of Learning, as well as the city’s numerous a55ociations and learned societies all contribute to the  development of science. Thanks to their enterprise and prudence, the people of Poznań developed craft and trade. Located in the city centre, the Poznań lnternational Fair grounds, the biggest fair venue in the Middle Europe, are an area where numerous fairs, exhibitions and conferences are held. Every year, the Poznań lnternational Fair calendar counts offers up to 80 international events. lt is also here that many investors, both domestic and foreign, choose to start their activity.

Cultural life in Poznań revolves around theatres, a philharmonic, galleries, a number of other institutions including the polish Dance Theatre and the Poznańskie Słowiki choir conducted by Stefan Stuligrosz. Poznań also hosts the Maltafestival Poznań, the lnternational Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition and the Contemporary Dance Workshops. One of the city’s greatest assets are its sporting and recreation facilities, with lakes and neighbouring sporting complexes, tennis courts and swimming polls encouraging active leisure. Numerous modern sporting facilities, such as the Poznań City Stadium, which has hosted several matches of the European Football Championship UEFA 2012^, allow for the organisation of great sporting (and not onIy) events in Poznań. Moreover, Poland’s biggest Palm House as well as Poznań’s Zoological and Botanical Gardens are one of the city’s greatest tourist attractions. Poznań boasts easy accessibility and serves as an intersection point of many regional, national and international rail routes. The city enjoys a bus system that links it with the main Polish and European cities, as well as ‘Ławica’ international airport located only 7 km west of the city centre. Poznań is an outstanding open and highly dynamic city full of beautiful sites and striking for its unique atmosphere. Both the city and its inhabitants are extraordinary.

18 Szewska Street

A post Dominican church built in the 1250s converted at the beginning of the 18th century. The western facade features an early Gothic portal, while the church’s nave – a late Gothic stone baptismal font dating from the beginning of the 6th century. The rooms on the floor of the ancient monastery were adopted for the exhibition Gllery at  Jesuits’.

Stary Rynek 1

This Renaissance building dating from the 1550s was designed by J.B. Quadro, with the monumental frontal facade featuring the three-storey arciloggia topped by the tall attic with three towers. It houses the Museum of the History of the City of Poznań, whose permanent exhibition covers the period from the 1Oth century to the interwar era. Every day at high noon metal figures represting billy goats appear that butt 12 times.

Stary Rynek 3

This classical building (originally wooden) constructed in the 18th century for the seat o guards. The initiator and founder of the enterprise was Kazimierz Raczyński, the then chief star of  Wielkopolska. Today the guardhouse houses Museum of Wielkopolska Uprising 1918-1919.

Stary Rynek 78/79

This late Baroque palace built in 1773-87 features a classical facade topped with an elaborate sculpting decoration. Striking for the Red Room’s s splendid interior dócor (numerous prestigious meetings are held here).Today the palace is a seat of several units of the Polish Academy of Science, serving for instance as a branch of the Kórnik Library and the Institute for Western Affairs in Poznań.

8 Gołębia Street

lt was constructed in the 1750s a5 part of a post- Jesuit building complex. In the period of the partitions of Poland, the Prussian authorities located here one of the Kingdom’s Gymnasiums. Nowadays, this building is the seat of the National Ballet School, while the adjacent one on ul. Kozia houses the Polish Dance Theatre – Poznań Ballet that organises the annual Contemporary Dance Biennale.

9 Fredry Street
www.opera-poznan.pl

The edifice was built in the Neoclassical style to the design by Max Littmann. The facade featuring six big columns, is topped with a triangular pediment with the top sculpture representing Pegasus. The theatre’s auditorium has a seating capacity of 900. The Opera was opened in 1910 with ‘The Magic Flute’ by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart as the first-night performance. Today, it is one of Poland’s best opera scenes.

5 Dąbrowskiego Street
www.teatrnowy.pl

The theatre is located in an Art Nouveau tenement house built in 1906-07 by the German architects Herman Böhmer and Paul Precl. lt began operation in 1923 under the name Helena Modrzejewska New Theatre ‘Masks’.

Other spectacular examples of Art Nouveau tenement houses can be found in the Jeżyce district particularly on ul. Dąbrowskiego, ul. Matejki as well as in the city centre and in the Łazarz and Wilda districts.